Career Resources

Social Security Numbers (SSNs) & Individual Tax Identification Numbers (ITINS)

ITIN and SSN resources for undocumented students

If you have work authorization through programs such as DACA or TPS, then you likely have a SSN (Social Security Number) that you can use for work purposes.

If you don’t have a SSN, then you may want to consider applying for an ITIN, which can open up certain internship and fellowship opportunities for you. An ITIN is a tax processing number issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) in the United States. It is used for tax purposes by individuals who are required to have a U.S. taxpayer identification number but are not eligible to obtain a Social Security number (SSN). An ITIN is also often required for independent contractors and freelancers to get paid. ITINs are important to undocumented professionals without work authorization because they allow them to comply with tax obligations and access certain bank accounts, build credit history, and meet requirements for housing applications.

It’s important to note that while ITINs are significant for tax purposes and certain services, they do not confer work authorization or immigration status. They are solely intended for tax reporting and compliance.

Be sure to always get support from certified agencies and individuals. You can often get help for free or at a low-cost through community resources.

Get started by reading this Guide from Immigrants Rising