Using LinkedIn to Network
Creating a LinkedIn account is especially useful to students and recent alumni. It allows you to connect with other professionals you know and find job opportunities. Connect with people you went to college with, people you work with, and family and friends who work in your desired industry or job role.
Get Started with LinkedIn
Create Your Account:
- Students: create a student account here.
- Alumni & professionals: create your account here.
- Create your profile:
- Professional Headline: Write a compelling headline that summarizes your expertise, highlights your unique selling points, and catches the attention of viewers.
- Profile photo: Use a high-quality, professional-looking headshot. If you don’t have one, ask a friend to take some photos of you for your profile.
- Work Experience: Provide a comprehensive overview of your work experience, including job titles, responsibilities, achievements, and notable projects. Use bullet points or concise paragraphs to make it easy to read.
- If you are looking for a job, use the “Open to Work” feature on your Profile so that employers and recruiters will know that you are open to conversations about employment
Network on LinkedIn
- Request to connect with people you went to college with, people you work with, and family and friends who work in your desired industry or job role. Include a personal message when you connect.
- Engage by taking a course via LinkedIn Learning
- Join relevant communities that help you grow your network. You can join a professional membership organization or “follow” companies/organizations that you like to learn more about their work, stay abreast of industry trends, and learn about job opportunities.
Stay active on LinkedIn! Regularly update your profile with your latest degree & certificates, accomplishments, skills, and goals. Engage with the LinkedIn community by interacting with others and sharing your thoughts.